Your mom is the best right?
When you were growing up, she was where you turned for hugs, the loving fixer of every scraped knee and the person who probably tucked you into bed at night. To this day, you count on her to be your number one fan in life and a huge source of emotional support.
Well, Mother’s Day (which falls on May 9 this year) is your chance to show your mom a little extra love and appreciation for everything she’s done (and does) for you.
Even though the country is slowly opening back up, many venues still have limited seating and not everybody is ready to stop social distancing just yet. That doesn’t mean, however, that you have to settle for sending your mom just a card and some flowers for Mother’s Day. Instead, take your mom’s unique interests into account and borrow one of these great ideas:
1. Tour a Local Garden or Park Together
The weather is getting nice and the early flowers are all in bloom, so this is a perfect time to take your mom to a local garden or park for a look. Some of the top spots in the area include:
- Garfield Conservatory and Sunken Gardens: If your mom loves formal gardens or tropical plants that you just can’t find everywhere else, she’ll love this place. There are 10,000 square feet of plants blooming in the conservatory and a three-acre formal garden to explore.
- White River Gardens: The botanical gardens at the Indianapolis Zoo are remarkable for both their flora and fauna, with butterflies, heritage gardens, honey bee hives and more. Its convenient location also makes it easy to escape into nature without having to spend much time on the road.
- Eagle Creek Park: If your mom is the active sort, she’d probably love Eagle Creek Park. The sixth-largest city park in the nation, there are almost 4,000 acres of land and a huge lake — and rowing, cycling and hiking are encouraged!
Although these venues make it easy to maintain a safe social distance from others, you should still plan ahead for your visit. Many area gardens and parks still require visitors to use a ticket system so that they don’t get too busy at once.
2. Plan a Family Picnic
Just in case you haven’t been let in on the secret: The absolute best gift you can give your mom is your attention and time. What better way to do that than to plan a picnic where you can sit down, relax and catch up together?
Picnics are the ultimate flexible experience: You can make an intimate little event for just two people or you can bring the entire family along! You can stick with finger food and simple fare or pack up a gourmet spread. You can head out to a serene location in the middle of nature somewhere or just head to your own backyard.
Whatever your mom’s style, you can adapt your picnic experience to something that you know she’ll enjoy — and there’s no need to worry about reservations.
3. Indulge in a Special Meal
Maybe your mom isn’t exactly the “outdoorsy” sort, but she does appreciate a good meal and a great cup of coffee. There are plenty of fantastic options from local restaurants available, like:
- Cunningham Restaurant Group: Exceptional service and quality dishes are what make the restaurants by CRG truly unique, and this Mother’s Day, you can treat mom to a meal as amazing as she is with carry-out from any CRG favorite — Livery, Provision, Nesso, and more! — on either May 9th or May 10th.
- Gallery Pastry Shop: Enjoy a delicious pastry spread fit for a queen with a special Mother’s Day Board from Gallery Pastry Shop.
- Bluebeard: Since 2012, this has been one of the finest culinary experiences Indy has to offer. Located in the Holy Rosary area of Fletcher Place, the food here is deeply rooted in tradition and the curated wine list is beyond reproach.
- Buca di Beppo: One of Indy’s premier Italian restaurants, the vintage style lends a charming atmosphere for any event — and the food and wine is excellent. We’d recommend the Buca Trio Platter to share and maybe some chocolate chip cannoli for dessert.
- The Capital Grille: Comfort is paired with elegance at The Capital Grille for an exceptional dining experience that’s sure to please, and their Mother’s Day Brunch is one of the best in the city.
Most restaurants still have limited seating options available, and waiting on a table on Mother’s Day can be tiresome, so make sure that you get reservations ahead of time — or check out their options for curbside pickup and delivery, instead.
4. Spring for Some Spa Time
Some moms are fancier than others, but every mom loves a little pampering. Why not give your mom a special treat that she’d probably never give herself, like a trip to a luxury spa? Some of the top places in the area where you can indulge in the ultimate self-care include:
- Transformations Salon and Spa: If you can dream it, they can probably do it here — whether that means hair, makeup, nails, massages or more. Your mom won’t forget this trip and she may feel like an entirely new woman by the time she gets home.
- A Place to Float: If you’re looking for a unique spa experience for your, this flotation therapy center promises a 60-minute stress detox that can reduce pain, insomnia and stress — and you don’t even have to leave downtown.
- The Beauty Bar: It’s the small things in life! The Beauty Bar at Geist specializes in these simple pleasures, like having your nails done or getting a massage while enjoying the company of your mom and sipping a nice glass of wine or two.
- Enroute Spa: Located in two spots (Concourse A and B) at the Indianapolis International Airport, the Enroute Spa is a spot where you can treat mom to a chair massage, foot massage, makeup, aromatherapy and more.
Naturally, this isn’t the sort of day trip you can make on the fly, so make sure that you reserve your spot early, especially close to Mother’s Day.
5. Go Out for a Good Time
Is your mom young at heart? Then why not take her out for a time on the town and celebrate her enduring youth? Some of the coolest places in the area to visit include:
- 16 Bit Bar & Arcade: If your mom is a member of Generation X, the odds are high that she remembers arcades pretty fondly. This arcade mixes lots of old-fashioned fun with classic arcade games and cocktail drinks, so you can’t miss!
- The Jazz Kitchen: You’ll find great jazz, good food and plenty of fun here, so your mom is bound to have a good time. Shows vary by the night but the atmosphere is always delightful.
- Helium Comedy Club: If your mom loves to laugh, why not take her to the Helium Comedy Club? The casual atmosphere is relaxing and fun, and the entertainment is lively and engaging.
Whatever you decide to do, one thing is certain: Your mom will love it because it’s coming from you!