Have you been struggling to connect with your significant other for the last few weeks? The abrupt end to the holiday season, the gloom and cold of winter weather, and the daily grind can distract from the relationships we most value – but Valentine’s Day is a chance to substitute a little romance for the usual routine.
Where, though, should you go? If you happen to live in Indianapolis, you’re in luck! Indy is packed full of romantic spots, places to dine and things to do. If you’re looking for the perfect place to renew your romance, we have tons of ideas below:
Get Dinner for Two in a Fancy Restaurant
Indy has been steadily developing a reputation for being among the nation’s culinary “hot spots” over the last few years. (In 2020, four Indy chefs even made it to the semifinals of the James Beard Foundation’s Beard Awards, which has been equated to the Oscars of cuisine.)
That means that there are plenty of venues that are perfect for a romantic dinner for two, including:
- Hotel Tango – If you and your significant other enjoy fine spirits – and bourbon brown butter cake – this may be the perfect location to spend your Valentine’s Day with someone you love.
- Mama Carolla’s – Frequently tagged as one of the area’s best local Italian restaurants, Mama Carolla’s has an intimate feel, excellent food (with gluten-free options) and an air of sheer romance.
- Mikado – Sushi has long been a favorite for luxury dinners and the private dining booths at Mikado provide plenty of intimacy for you and your partner.
- Spoke & Steele – Thinking of proposing on Valentine’s Day? You might like one of the private dining spaces near the fireplace at this lovely spot beneath Le Meridien Hotel.
- The Eagle’s Nest – There’s nothing that makes you appreciate the world like a 360-degree view of the city’s skyline from atop this rotating restaurant, which is full of charm and style.
- The Meridian – This is one of Indy’s most venerated dinner spots, right in the heart of the Historic District, and it is sure to impress your significant other with its traditional fare and elegant decor.
- Vida – When you like ultra-modern decor, low lights and one of the top curated wine lists in the entire city, this is the place to go.
- Strange Bird – If you prefer something a little offbeat for your Valentine’s Day rendezvous, check out Strange Bird, Indy’s very own “neighborhood rum and oyster bar” for a special treat.
That’s just the start of the list when it comes to Indy’s best restaurants, but you probably want to call ahead for reservations, wherever you go!
Enjoy a Musical Celebration Together
Is music a big part of how you and your significant other bonded? Well, Valentine’s Day offers plenty of opportunities to renew your passion for music and your passion for each other.
Some of Indy’s current musical offerings include:
- Valentine’s Day with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra – Saturday, Feb. 12, 8 PM to 10:30 PM at Hilbert Circle Theatre for classical fare with a seasonal twist.
- Love Rocks Valentine’s Day Party – Friday, Feb. 11, at Howl at the Moon on E. George St., for couples who like to rock out to power ballads from the ‘80s on.
- Be My Valentine Boot Scoot Honky Tonk DJ Night – Friday, Feb. 11, 8 PM to Midnight at Duke’s Indy, for folks who like that good, old-fashioned country music and a little dancing.
- Anthony Nunziata: An Italian Broadway Valentine’s Day! – Monday, Feb. 14, 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM at Feinstein’s Cabaret in Carmel, for couples who want to lose themselves in timeless romance.
Again, there are plenty of other local venues and bars that are offering musical entertainment for Valentine’s Day, so don’t be afraid to explore.
Go Off the Beaten Path Together
Sure, fancy dinners and music are pretty standard for Valentine’s Day, but who says you have to limit your options?
One of the best ways two people can grow together as a couple is to just spend time doing things together. If you’re looking for ideas for this Valentine’s Day, Indianapolis has some great opportunities. You can:
- Take a painting class: Check out the “Lovers & Friends” Sip & Paint Party at Phiri Art Gallery on Feb. 13., or Cowork 101’s Wine & Canvas Night on Feb. 10 from 7 PM – 8:30 PM.
- Learn how to cook: Valentine’s Day and chocolate just go together, right? So why not learn everything there is to know about this sweet treat at Nestle Indy on Feb. 12, starting at 3:30 PM
- Stroll through a museum: Indianapolis is famous for its museums, so why not check out the amazing displays at The Eiteljorg Museum, the treasures held at the Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields or explore the history of one of America’s most enduring pastimes at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum with your beloved?
- Tour the city from above: If you want to convey the message to your partner that – given the chance – you’ll put the whole world at their feet, an aerial tour of the city can do it. The Indianapolis Helicopter Tour is an incredible way to see the whole city in one trip.
- Go dancing: Have you always wished that you could have met your sweetheart when you were still in high school so that you could have gone to prom together? Well, recreate the magic at the Sweetheart Dance at The Rathskeller on Feb. 12 from 7 PM – 11 PM. There will be a live band, and tickets include a three-course meal and champagne.
Everybody has a different definition of romance, and we’re not judging! We just hope that you and your significant other have a chance to spend some quality time together as a couple. Even if none of these ideas appeals to you, there’s always plenty to do in Indy.